I graduated from the University of South Florida, where I received a Bachelor’s degree in criminology in 1987. For my law degree, I attended St. Thomas University School of Law where I earned my Juris Doctor in just 2 ½ years.
Following law school, I worked at the prestigious law firm of Blackwell & Walker P.A., as a litigation attorney handling a wide range of matters in the areas of medical malpractice, life insurance defense, commercial litigation, general insurance defense and eminent domain. In 1993, I opened my own practice representing individuals in cases involving medical malpractice, wrongful death, serious personal injury, negligent security and product liability. I’ve been fortunate to have cases featured in local and national publications and I have consulted on cases throughout the country. My medical malpractice cases include delay/misdiagnosis of cancer, wrongful amputation, misdiagnosis of stroke, complications during pregnancy and delivery, including several stillbirth cases, audiology malpractice, ophthalmology malpractice and plastic surgery malpractice.
In March of 2014, I joined Rubenstein Law as a litigation attorney, and I am currently the Litigation Attorney Supervisor. I mentor and train the firm’s younger litigation attorneys and try cases throughout the State of Florida in both state and federal courts.
I have tried over 100 jury trials to verdict, and I have had cases go all the way up to the United States Supreme Court. In 2016, together with Anthony Soto, we obtained the highest Medical Malpractice verdict ($7.7M) in the State of Florida. I have also handled multi-million dollar arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association and the American Health Lawyer’s Association.
I am fluent in Spanish and English.
- Board certified by the Florida Bar as a specialist in Civil Trial since 1997
- Medical malpractice cases:
- Delay/misdiagnosis of cancer
- Wrongful amputation
- Misdiagnosis of stroke
- Complications during pregnancy and delivery - including stillbirth cases
- Audiology malpractice
- Ophthalmology malpractice
- Plastic surgery malpractice
- Clients have included:
- Crown Life Insurance Company
- Fireman’s Fund
- American Protectors Life Insurance Company
- Broward County
- Indian River County
- Philadelphia Phillies
- Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Legal Specialization, since 2000
- Licensed to practice in all Florida state courts, the Federal Courts for the Middle District and Southern District (Trial Bar) of Florida, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court of the United States
- Cases have been featured in local and national publications and I have consulted on cases throughout the country
- Multimillion dollar arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association
- Multimillion dollar arbitrations before American Health Lawyer’s Association
Education and Accolades
- Florida Super Lawyers; Top Lawyers in Florida
- St. Thomas University School of Law, Dean’s List
- Jurisprudence Awards - Civil Procedure and Administrative Law
- Written and graded questions for the National Certification Examinations of the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Member of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity and the Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity