Carbon Monoxide (CO) is often referred to as "the silent killer" because of its odorless and colorless properties. It is often undetected until it is too late. CO can cause serious illness, brain injury and even death in human and animals.
The fumes when carbon is burned in vehicles, engines or even household appliances. To keep you, your family and household safe, follow these tips.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
1. Install a CO detector in your home.
2. Replace the battery every few months. One easy way to remember is to change the batteries when the clock changes each Spring and Fall.
3. Make sure your CO detector is placed somewhere where it will wake you if it is activated.
4. Replace your CO detector every five years.
5. Make sure to get your water heater, heating system or other fuel burning appliaces serviced by a qualified technician each year.
6. Make sure gas appliances are ventilated properly.
7. Angle horizontal vent pipes slight upward as they go outdoors.
8. Do not cover a vent pipe.
During Hurrican Season:
9. Do not burn charcoal indoors.
10. DO not use a portable gas camp stove indoors.
11. Do no use a generator inside your home, basement or garage.
12. Generators should be used at least 20 feet away from any doors, windows or openings.
Maintenance for your vehicle:
13. Check the exhaust system annually. A leak in the exhaust system can lead to a CO build-up inside your vehicle.
14. Never run your vehicle inside the garage if it is attached to a house or living area, even if the garage door is open.
14. Make sure vents and flues are free from debris, which can block ventilation flow.
15. Never run a motor vhicle, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine less than 20 feet from an open window, door or vent. This can bring exhaust into an enclosed area.
16. Don't use a lantern, hibachi or camping stove inside a camping tent, camper or living area.
17. If you suspect CO poisoning, call 911 or a health care professional right away.