12 Ways to Optimize Your Home for Older Adults
As the baby boomer population continues to mature, the number of injuries and deaths caused by falls increase.
- In the U.S., every 11 seconds, one adult aged 65 or older is admitted to the emergency room for a fall.
- 1 in 4 older adults falls each year.
- Over 2.8 million older adults are taken to emergency rooms each year because of a fall, resulting in over 800,000 hospitalizations.
- Fatalities from falls occur every 19 seconds.
- Falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injury (TBI) in older adults.
While the statistics seem bleak, the good news is that there are preventative measures that older adults and their caretakers can take to avoid falls and injuries. By creating a safe environment, older adults and their families can take the steps necessary to increase safety. The less risk factors present the chances of a fall decrease.
How to Create a Safe Environment for Older Adults
Keeping a safe home environment is key to prevent falls for older adults.. Because most falls occur in the home, it is essential to make a plan to decrease the risk of falling. Follow these tips to make your home a safe environment for you or your loved one.
- Add rails or “grab bars” next to toilets and inside the tub.
- Always keep clutter off the stairs and floors.
- Keep shelf items within reach to avoid bending or using stools.
- Place a lamp next to bed within easy reach.
- Have an electrician put in an overhead light and light switch at the top and bottom of the stairs.
- Fix loose handrails, or install new ones on both sides of stairs.
- Remove excess furniture in the home; maintain a clear path.
- Clear floors or path of telephone cords, extension cords or lamp cords. If necessary, tape them next to wall to avoid tripping.
- Put a nightlight on your path toward the bathroom to help you see at night.
- Put non-slip strips on the tub or shower floors.
- Remove loose mats and small floor rugs. Use grips or strong double-sided tape to secure the edges of area rugs.
- Keep home well lit.
If you or your loved were injured due to the negligence of others, call your Florida personal injury attorneys at Rubenstein Law. Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call us at 1-800-FL-LEGAL for a free consultation.
DISCLAIMER: This post is intended to provide general information to our readers. None of the information contained in this post should be construed to constitute legal or medical advice. Laws vary by jurisdiction and cases often turn on minor differences in fact. Do not rely exclusively on any of the information contained in this post. Always seek further assistance from a legal or medical professional where necessary.